Phantom of the roads

Phantom of the roads

Saturday 18 July 2015

Out to stay

What a game, good on you boys, we have the team! The world cup winning team, up the Wallabys. It was so good to kick back and watch your team win, even 110 kms in the bush somewhere on the gulf of Carpentaria. And what's made it even better, after one month stuck in the sand I was forced to get us out by the boss. After trying different winches, a truck and 4x4 both pulling at once, and even a John deer tractor, the Phantom was not moving anywhere... So I did what I wanted to do in the beginning, and that was to dig in under the bus, block it up, put a 50 ton jack under the drive wheel jacking point, which was touching the ground, jacked it up, blocked under the tyres with bricks, made a timber track, hooked the tractor up and drove out, with the tractor pulling as help - ha I drove it out as the tractor didn't pull me at all! As I was driving the chain was never stretched...

With the boss happy, kids cheering and dad cruising across the park like nothing was wrong and there was nothing to worry about. After all dad is here... Well with the help of mum of course, but somehow dad always claims the glory when its really mum that deserves it. Ha, I could not have done it with the 2-year-old trying to crawl under the bus and help by getting in where I had dug out for the jack... We are out of the sand, but not out of the bush for another month or so, and when we leave its only to go prepare to come back for a longer stint, as I've have gone into a deal with the corporation to start and run a commercial net fishing venture on the gulf and barra farm further inland... So its back to Brisbane to prepare our return very soon.... Well after I put the roof and floor on the building. I must say I cant wait, as I came here to fish and fishing I will do... What a life, love it.

Tractoring out
Truck towing marks and tractor towing marks 
Getting under the drive wheel
9 tonne winch on bush skids
Bush modification for stabilization   

Old school block and tackle

Before getting her out





No comments:

Post a Comment