Phantom of the roads

Phantom of the roads

Friday 5 June 2015

True honour

I had the honour of being taken to the beautiful outstation of Pandanus Ridge by the traditional owners. It's on the gulf of Carpentaria about 45 kilometres North-West of Bing Bong on a private sealed highway that runs for 160 kilometres, ending up near the Roper River, and with big locked gates on each end.

I was told this place has never been touched by modern man as we know, and only in recent years a handful of mine explorations have been taken through this vast country. At the end of this highway an old iron ore mine once existed and now its 160 kilometres of a totally lonely highway with water buffaloes, wild pigs, donkeys, emus, roos, dingoes, crocodiles, snakes, big lizards, bird life like I've never seen before... The phantom, my family and I on it, as I have just taken up an offer of being a care taker for the road and surrounding areas. What a job!

Not to mention the fishing... Like they say back home: as soon as the line hits the water, pull it back up because there's a fish already on it. The coast line beaches are so untouched and spectacular I feel so honoured  to be here with my family. The surrounds are full of life, creeks with everything in them, and billabongs you just cant trust.
Once I've done a good enough look around through the place I will post photos... oops! .......fish biting ....sh..t...?...?.


Heavenly but deadly

No comments:

Post a Comment